Old December 21st 05, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

Default Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays???

Shawn Hirn > responds:

>> Which one do you prefer?

[...]

> 1) Use "Merry Christmas" if you know the person celebrates Christmas
> or "Happy Hanukkah" if you know the person celebrates Hanukkah, or
> "Happy Kwanzaa" if you know the person celebrates Kwanzaa.

Kwaanza is a silly, contrived pseudo-holiday. It's "celebration"
shouldn't be encouraged by even acknowledging its misbegotten
existence.

"Enough. Kwanzaa is a pagan, racist, charade founded by a man in
1966 who tortured 2 women. If idiocy draws some unfortunates to
it, that is their problem."

-- http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/599447/posts

> 2) If you don't know which holiday (Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, or Christmas),
> someone celebrates, say something generic such as "Seasons Greetings"

Does anybody ever actually *say* "Season's Greetings?" I see it
on Christmas cards (oh, the irony!) and on banners hung by busin-
esses or painted on their windows, but I can't remember ever
hearing it used as a spoken salutation.

("'Urnutzov,' he salutated, bowing and tugging his foreskin.")

> 3) Do not acknowledge the holiday season at all.

It's the *Christmas* season, whether it's acknowledged or not
Hannukah (sometimes spelled Chanukkah, pronounced "Cha-NOO-ka")
isn't even a major Jewish holiday, so its questionable whether
it even rates a holiday greeting.

Geoff

--
"I'm so anal that I weigh each of my cd's to the nearest microgram,
fifty times, on a quartz crystal microbalance and then arrange them