Old November 20th 04, 03:30 AM
Gregg Gruen

Default 94 Accord torque converter in and out

My 1994 Accord seems to do something strange at highway speeds. It
seems that the torque converter is locking up and unlocking
repeatedly. I try to maintain a very steady speed, but I'll feel it
unlock and watch the tach jump up ~250 RPM, then watch it drop it back
down again. This will happen on flat road, but very much more so on a
slight (and I mean slight) incline. If I use cruise control, the
problem it's so bad, but still present. It seems like it's more
sensitive than it should be. It'll just as much as every 5-8 seconds,
especially if the road isn't perfectly flat.

Otherwise, the trans seems to shift fine. Shifts a little rough,
especially when it's cold, but nothing to really complain about too
much. I did a trans fluid change, but I didn't use Honda fluid
(changing again this weekend w/ Honda fluid after what I've read about
that).

Can anyone give me a recommended adjustment I can make? Could it be a
bad TC solenoid? Or is this just a standard Honda auto trans? It's
the first one I've owned.

About 140k miles, no check engine light.

Also, I've noticed two distinctive clunks when I put the car in drive
from park, especially when it's cold. It's almost as if it's a
two-part shift process. There's a slight delay between the two.

I'm trying to take it easy on the car. I just bought it, and I'm
afraid of any trans problems coming up already.

Thanks
Gregg