Old March 12th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
xyzzy

Default 215/40-R16 Yokohama S.Drive tires

On Feb 20, 10:26*am, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Alan Baker > wrote:
>
> > I've done some checking and a lot of people seem to think a lot about
> > the S.Drive's wet weather performance.

> Lots of summer tires are very good in the wet. The T1R is a notch or two
> better than that, with significantly more grip under all conditions. In
> addition, it's very lightweight and has an amazingly-plush ride.
> However, its turn in is not very crisp, which bothers some folks.

Maybe I should look into these. Can you elaborate on what you mean
by "not very crisp" turn-in?

My Miata is a 96 and it's been shod for a few years with the Dunlop
D60-whatever tires that were highly recommended a few years ago. As
they have got a few years and a few 1000 miles on them, they are
terribly loud, to the point the car is unpleasant to ride in with the
top up (top down the sun and wind and air distract me from the tire
noise . I don't remember the OEM tires being that bad, but
unfortunately I don't even remember what the OEM tires were since it
was 15 years ago that I bought this car. .

Part of the problem may be that my other car is an LS400 which is very
quiet, so that may make the Mata seem worse. And I'm 15 years older
than I was when I bought this Miata. At any rate I'd like something
quieter but still want good grip in the twisty roads. I live in NC
and have another car so summer tires are fine. Another "problem" is
that I "only " drive my Miata about 7000 miles a year, so it will be a
while before these Dunlops wear down enough that I can justify
replacing them. But next time, because of my slow pace of rolling up
the miles, durability will not be a factor in my selection.