Old February 24th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

Default 215/40-R16 Yokohama S.Drive tires

In article > ,
Carbon > wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:02:34 -0600, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> > In article > , Carbon
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Having lived in Alberta and Vancouver, I always thought snow and ice
> >> was a bit less difficult when it was really cold, say -20C or colder.

> > On winter or all-season tires, perhaps. Not on summer tires.

> All-seasons. The only people I knew who had summer tires had multiple
> sets of wheels and didn't mind swapping every six months.

I had summer tires on my Miata from 1994 until very recently; at times
very bald summer tires. My B.F. Goodrich Euro T/As got very bald towards
the end, but I successfully negotiated occasional drives on snow-covered
roads even when the temp was truly below freezing.

Granted: it's not something I'd want to do if it was going to be all the
time...

....but it wasn't instant loss of all traction; not even close.

But as I've already said, if whatever tires I eventually get don't work
out that way, then I'll be mounting the old steel wheels with snows next
winter.

What I'm not going to do is change the fact that I want proper high
performance tires good in the dry and definitely good in the wet because
I may need to change tires for 3 months of the year.

:-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia