Old February 23rd 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default Small hole too close to sidewall...

Wood Roach wrote:
> Just looking for a tire expert opinon as to whether this hole is
> repariable. Tire shop said no and I can't find another tire like this
> one anywhere - so now I'm looking at 4 new ones!!!
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/MSRoach/...ain2556017EBay
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

does this tire shop have an interest in selling you a bunch of new
tires? yes? so are they, in any way, likely to be biased in what they
tell you?

bottom line - that penetration is within the radial banding of the tire
and is therefore repairable. find a cheapo mexican tire shop on the
poor side of town that sells used tires - you'll get it fixed no problem.

ps. - safety first:
since you have the tire off, you can see inside. look to see if the
penetrant scraped up the inside of the side wall. if it did, and
there's any trace of sidewall cord breakage, do not repair. otherwise,
you have a green.