Old December 8th 04, 05:49 PM
Wes Faul

Default 90 spirit won't run

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Wes Faul wrote:
>
> > > I think you have an electrical problem. Somehow, that injector isn't
> > > being given the right signals.

> > I've checked the TPS, replaced the AIS, checked the Speed/Distance
> > sensor. What other electrical sensors/relays, etc... do I need to check?
> > The ASD relay shuts off the ignition, doesn't it? So it shouldn't be
> > that.

> The ASD relay controls the ignition, yes, but also the fuel pump and also
> the injection. It is the "master shutdown switch".
>
> > When depressurizing the fuel system, the chiltons

> Ooohboy. Chilton books will get you nowhere in a big hurry. You need a
> factory book. They're not hard or expensive to get.
>
> > says to ground one terminal of the fuel injector, and touch the other
> > terminal to the positive battery terminal.

> Good way to fry a fuel injector.

That's what I figured.

> Has the throttle body itself or the fuel injector been swapped? Although
> physically interchangeable, different-year versions of this same system
> run at different pressures. Starting in '91 or '92, the system pressure
> was increased to 39psi, and the later injectors aren't compatible with the
> early lower-pressure system.

I didn't replace either of them. I've had the car for about a month, and it
ran fine until this. I figure it has to be something electrical, though.
It was running fine when I parked it. Then, when I went to leave, it
wouldn't start.

> Try this: Remove the battery negative cable from the battery and
> leave it disconnected for two minutes, then reconnect it. Get in the car
> and crank it, then check the codes and report what you find. I'm beginning
> to suspect you'll see an 11.

After I replaced the TPS, I unhooked the battery to reset the codes. Since
then, I haven't had any codes except 12 and 55.
Wes