Old May 21st 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
r0lliSl1fe

Default starter clicks but doesn't turn over

On May 18, 12:04 pm, Joe Feise > wrote:
> On my '99, I regularly have the problem that the starter solenoid clicks, but
> the starter won't crank right away. I have to turn the ignition key on and off
> several times before the starter turns.
> I have a new starter and a new ignition switch.
> This has annoyed me for several months. Does anybody have an idea what it could be?
>
> TIA,
> -Joe

Woo! Sounds like what stranded me and my mom two weeks ago. Only we
couldn't actually get it to start. If it's been more than a year
since you got your battery, I'd replace it. If it's under
warranty...well then have them test it and charge it. Then pour Coke
(yes, the soda) into a rag and clean the terminals of the battery and
the ends of the cables thoroughly.

Remount the cables...maybe with some anti-corrosion battery grease
(AutoZone loves to sell you this stuff at the counter).

If it doesn't work...well, it will work! If it happens again in a
little while (assuming you just charge the battery), then the battery
is defective and charging unevenly. Might have tipped over at some
point. Get it replaced!

-r0ll