Old December 28th 06, 10:18 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

Default Ford chief seeks help from Toyota

Nicholas Anthony wrote:
> "Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
>> In the long run protecting our markets through tariffs etc. will do us no
>> good. Our economic model isn't built to work this way. If we penalize
>> imports then the domestic makers will just find a way to exploit it
>> without improving the quality of their vehicles. Then the consumer
>> suffers and the domestics dig themselves a deeper hole to crawl out from.
>> Besides, Toyota is not selling their vehicles for less than Ford's or GM's
>> counterparts. Most cases they are MORE expensive. People buy them anyway.

> I disagree as there is competition from within that would improve the
> market. The real reason we slipped was do to OPEC and oil. American
> manufacturers had to come up with something more fuel efficient, smaller,
> and better emissions. I dont recall hearing complaints of American cars in
> the 60's or early 70's. It was only until we were forced to do something we
> were not familiar with and had to adapt to something the Japanese and many
> European makers already had been doing.

The problem is that the domestics aren't making cars that the public
wants in their driveways. If the Japanese can make desirable cars then
why can't Ford and GM? Protecting their markets will not force them to
make better cars. In fact, it will have the opposite effect. There
won't be any pressure on them to make better vehicles.

Detroit had no real competition in the 50s, 60s and 70s so how would any
of us know to complain? We had only one point of reference... theirs.
Now we have a choice and many of us are choosing the imports.

>> IMO, the main problem facing Ford and GM is the perception of the public
>> regarding their products. I don't think their vehicles are all that
>> worse, or any worse for that matter, than the Japanese imports. The
>> import companies have run circles around them from a marketing aspect.
>> After the Mustang, what does Ford have to get anyone excited about their
>> lineup? I can't think of any right off hand.

> I agree they need to improve their image or if they try to re-invent it do
> it in a way that you dont lose your base customers by what you are touching
> on next paragraph.

Ford and GM need to concentrate on making good vehicles. Ford has spent
too much money buying other brands (Volvo, Aston-Martin, Jaguar etc.)
and not nearly enough on vehicle development within the
Ford/Lincoln/Mercury moniker. Their are now buying hybrid technology
from Toyota! They should be developing their own technology and selling
to others.