Old November 9th 04, 03:26 AM
Jim Chodrick

Every tire sold for the last several decades has a DOT number. Look for it
on the sidewall - the last 3 or 4 digits indicate when it was produced. For
example if it ends with 0504, it indicates that it was produced the 5th week
of 2004. If it was 054 then it would have been produced the 5th week of '94,
pretty easy to understand after you look at a few of them.

I wouldn't use it as a basis for buying new tires unless they were a
discontinued line. Most all manufacturers change things up every few years
so a tire that has a DOT of being produced 3 or 4 years ago is probably no
longer being produced at all. Most tires stored in a cool dry environment
will still be as good as new when put into service even 5 years later but
may weathercrack soon after being used.