Old August 26th 13, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bernd Felsche[_2_]

Default Alloy Wheels - A Word of Warning

PeterD > wrote:
>On 8/21/2013 6:24 PM, SnoBrdr wrote:

>> If you had EVER rotated your tires, this would never have been a
>> issue.

>> I have always lubed the hubs on all my vehicles.

>Yep, tires should have been rotated on a regular basis--that's good
>maintenance practice. I use anti-seize on my wheel to hub interfaces.

>FWIW, this problem happens with ALL wheels, not just alloy ones. Steel
>wheels will rust fast and need to be beaten off as well. For some
>vehicles (with steel wheels) we've had to use a six lb sledge hammer to
>get the wheel loose--dog help the person who needs to change a flat in
>the middle of nowhere when that happens.

No big deal: Loosely ("hand-snug") install the screws (bolts), lower
car back on the ground and rock it back and forth and sideways with
the weight on the wheel. Works with a flat tyre as well as an
inflated one.

Corrosion is more likely between dissimilar metals.
--
/"\ Bernd Felsche - Somewhere in Western Australia
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an