Old August 25th 13, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

Default Alloy Wheels - A Word of Warning

On 8/21/2013 6:24 PM, SnoBrdr wrote:
> If you had EVER rotated your tires, this would never have been a
> issue.
>
> I have always lubed the hubs on all my vehicles.

Yep, tires should have been rotated on a regular basis--that's good
maintenance practice. I use anti-seize on my wheel to hub interfaces.

FWIW, this problem happens with ALL wheels, not just alloy ones. Steel
wheels will rust fast and need to be beaten off as well. For some
vehicles (with steel wheels) we've had to use a six lb sledge hammer to
get the wheel loose--dog help the person who needs to change a flat in
the middle of nowhere when that happens.

I recommend rotating tires either with each (six month) service or
annually if the vehicle is not driven much.

--
I'm never going to grow up.