Old September 8th 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
*

Default OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires

E Meyer > wrote in article

<HP2Ei.16866$453.2177@trndny02>...

rim

> >> And you're telling me you're an 'expert?!?!?!
> >>

> >> Toyo Proxes T1r
> >> 195/45R14
> >> 15Lbs.
> >> 280 Treadwear
> >> MP
> >> V Rated
> >> Tread Depth 10
> >> Rim Width (Min/Max) 6 - 7.5
> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>

> >> Toyo Proxes Tpt
> >> 185/60R14
> >> 16Lbs.
> >> Rim Width (Min/Max) 5 - 6.5
> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>

> >> If you tried to put the first tire on the rim meant for the second

tire,
> >> the sidewall would blowout. A real recipe for disaster.
> >>
> >> If you don't know this, then NO WAY are you telling me what to do with

my
> >> tires!!!
> >>
> >> So, on my Corolla with OEM rims of 5.5", I had to take a set of wheels

> > off
> >> my Celica (6.5") to run the hi-poi 195/45-14s or run the risk of the
> >> sidewall flexing too much and blowing the tire off the rim...
> >>

> > In spite of all your horse schidt, here is one undeniable fact......
> >

> > A tire supporting a 500 pound load will have a footprint of 20
> > square-inches at an inflation pressure of 25 p.s.i. and a footprint of

12.5
> > square-inches at 40 p.s.i. inflation. That's simple high school math

and
> > physics.
> >
> > The ONLY differences between the footprints of a "narrow" tire versus a
> > "wide" tire is the SHAPE of the footprint. They BOTH require the

same-sized
> > footprint to support the same load at the same inflation pressures.
> >
> > With the 20 square-inch example, a ten-inch-wide tread will have a
> > footprint that is ten-inches wide by two-inches long while a five-inch
> > tread would have a footprint that is five-inches wide by four-inches

long.

> > With 25 pounds of air pressure, you need 20 square-inches to support

500
> > pounds.....one way or another.
> >
> > By running your tires at maximum inflation, you are running the car at

62.5
> > percent of the tire footprint that the car manufacturer has designed

the
> > suspension to work with.
> >

> Undeniable fact?? Usually the stuff you put out is more or less correct
> (bravado and SOB-ness not withstanding), but I need to see a legit

reference
> for this one.

"The Racing & High-Performance Tire" by Paul Haney

ISBN 0-9646414-2-9

Available through SAE - or directly from Haney at:

http://www.insideracingtechnology.com/

Page 70 and 71 "Load and Internal Pressure"