Old December 1st 05, 12:31 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,la.transportation

Default LA County: You're Stuck in a Traffic Jam Until AT LEAST 2016

In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>>And after several YEARS of construction to widen the road, they will realize
>>that the newly-widened roadway is way too narrow. -Dave

> Widening roads sucks. The real solution is to build whole _other_ roads. They
> might be parallel, 300 yards over one way or the other, but just widening the
> road is of really limited value. One jacknifed truck, or one life-flight
> helicopter, and the whole thing is hosed even if it has 27 lanes in each
> direction. The cops generally close 'em all, no matter how wide it is.
>
> We need _more_ roads, not wider roads.

Actually the grid system is needed. Grid systems are far less prone to
total failure because they have redundancy. However, far too many areas
were developed with no thought put to the road system, and no grid to
absorb a single closure.