Old November 30th 05, 05:07 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,la.transportation

Default LA County: You're Stuck in a Traffic Jam Until AT LEAST 2016

In article ews.net>, Mike T. wrote:
> was even out of the planning stage. Adding one or two lanes does NOTHING to
> a road that is seriously congested, unless it was only one lane each way to
> begin with.

I've argued the same thing here many times. I am consistantly told I am
wrong. The problem is that on a road that has so many users on it is that
there is always another lane blocking sloth to screw up the additional
lane(s). So many that they can easily establish blocking. The lane
growth has to out pace the traffic by a very significant margin.

This is why driver behavior is so important to capacity. I came to this
conclusion when I experienced traffic that would have crippled a flat
straight chicago 4 lane arterial with such frequent traffic lights flow
smoothly on a 4 lane road in Germany laid out along a winding path
probably laid out in 16whatever.