Old November 30th 05, 04:06 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,la.transportation

Default LA County: You're Stuck in a Traffic Jam Until AT LEAST 2016

> According to plans, commuters will have to wait until 2016 to see
> what is predicted to be a $1.4-billion expansion from the Orange
> County line through the L.A. County cities of La Mirada, Norwalk,
> Santa Fe Springs and part of Downey to the junction with the 605
> Freeway.

And after several YEARS of construction to widen the road, they will realize
that the newly-widened roadway is way too narrow. That happened with a
roadway near where I used to live. It was two lanes each way, always jammed
one way in the morning and the opposite way in the evening (two hours to go
about 10 miles). They announced plans to widen it to THREE lanes each way.
Took several years. When they were done, the road was three lanes jammed in
the morning and the opposite three lanes jammed in the evening. The backup
and commute time were identical to what it was before the road construction
was even out of the planning stage. Adding one or two lanes does NOTHING to
a road that is seriously congested, unless it was only one lane each way to
begin with. This project planned for OC and LA counties in 2016 probably
should have been completed *****no later than 1986****, and the next
expansion should be to DOUBLE or TRIPLE that once again. But no . . . . the
taxpayers will have billions wasted on yet another expansion project that is
too little, too late. -Dave