Old March 21st 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Distributor cap/cover 1997 Civic

On Mar 21, 8:58 am, Tegger > wrote:
> wrote in news:1174466850.112426.49170
> @p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I still cannot figure out what's wrong
> > with my car. Long story short, I bought it brand new, never had a
> > problem with it, EVER, and then last week it suddenly stopped running
> > in the middle of the road! Without warning! Weird, eh?

> Not "weird". If your spark disappears, the car will not run. You've never
> checked for spark, have you?
>
> 90% of start problems are ignition-related. Right now yours sounds like the
> igniter.
>

> > It's not the timing belt (checked), it's not the fuel system
> > (checked), and now it's down to ignition...

> Could have told you that right from the beginning in that other thread you
> started then abandoned. 90% of start problems are ignition-related.
>
> Instead of yakkin' it up in here, go do some actual diagnostics instead.
> You never know, you might just find your problem.
>
> Check out this handy page:http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Tegger

I took your advice, thank you; didn't mean to abandon that other
thread - new at this discussion board.

Now, I have checked for spark - there's not. That's why I wanted to
know how to take off the distributor cover - I did that too, and it
all looks fine - even the rotor seems to be in good shape. Later
today I'm supposed to get a multimeter and see what pans out.

Now, please be gentle, I hope this isn't a stupid question: I spoke
to someone at the dealership today, and he said that even though it
appeared that the timing belt wasn't broken, it could have 'jumped
time' since the engine was in 4th, and a load was applied when it
stopped running. Is this an actual possibility, what he's saying,
that the belt could still be on there but 'loose'? I'd not read
anything on these boards about it and it seemed that he might have
less than good motives for coming up with something like that..

Thanks for your help, again, Tegger, much appreciated.