Old July 18th 11, 05:21 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default front blower motor problem on 2001 dodge Caravan Sport

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:45:30 -0400, wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:28:09 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
> wrote:
>
>>In om> "Virgil2U" > writes:
>>
>>>I have a on going problem with the front blower motor on my van. Sometimes the front blower will run and sometimes it won't. The rear blower works fine. I have replaced the fan resistor behind the glove box and it did not solve the problem. I would appreciate any help and advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.

>>Dead spot in the motor, umm, rotator/commutater? Basically if
>>the fan motor omes to a stop in that dead spot, it won't
>>start up again.
>>
>>Hitting it with a stick, or driving until you hit a pothole...
>>will often get it started again.
>>
>>But the actual fix involves... replacing the blower motor.
>>
>>I had a local junkyard here install a used one for about $75.

> It's either a bad motor or a bad connection on the switch/relay. Look
>for discoloured connectons - not as common on Chrysler as on Ford.
>
>As for the motor, often the brushes are worn and/or stuck. Replacement
>is the best bet - but if installing used stuff, for crying out loud
>make sure it's in better shape than what you are taking out!!!!.
>For the work involved, it does NOT make sense to install something
>that is already worn out.

I agree about installing used parts like a blower motor. I have
priced them online for around $50 so I think if it is the blower motor
I would be better off getting a new one instead of throwing money on
something that has probably not run or sat idle for years.