Old June 30th 07, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.pontiac,alt.autos.oldsmobile
Mike Romain

Default instrument cluster dies, then comes for a minute, then dies forseveral minutes, repeat...

The main body ground is a mesh strap that runs from a tranny bellhousing
bolt to the body usually on GM's.

A secondary one runs from the battery negative to the body by the
battery. A symptom of the main ground dead will be the small one by the
battery first melting the insulation, then cooking.

I also think the frame has a ground strap across an engine mount, but am
not sure where.

The vehicle can 'steal' some ground and run sometimes, but....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...