Old August 14th 09, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Default Odd noise

Sunbeam spoke:
> My 2.4jtd (currently on ebay ) had a split in the inlet pipe and made
> a sound similar to what you describe under hard acceleration.
>
> I cured it temporarily with duct tape.

It got worse on the way home tonight, and the engine warning light came on
at one point. Then it lost power.....
Pulled over, had a look around, could see nothing, re-started it, engine
light off, but the SHSHSHSHSHHS changed, when it was there, I had power,
then it would drop off, and so would the power.

Limped it home, and with the aid of #1 son, we found a split in the bottom
hose - nora clue what it is, but it is a large (100mm diameter?) soft
rubber hose at the bottom front of the engine, from mid-way towards
near-side wing.

There is a definite split in it, and you can see it open when the engine is
revved.

Tomorrow I shall clean off the greasy black gunk it is coated with and
apply some duct tape as a temporary bodge. If that fixes it, then I can
just order one.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)