Old December 16th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default How to deal with rust spot?

Peabody > wrote in news:0PGgh.13150
:

> I have a 94 Accord with only 54K miles, but have one rust spot near
> the passenger side rear wheel well. Actually, it's right above the
> seam that runs horizontally back from the wheel well. I don't know
> what the names of the panels are, but the lower one has the side
> rear relector, and the upper one has the fuel tank door on the
> driver side. In fact, if the fuel door was on the passenger side,
> the rust would be directly below the middle of it, beginning about
> an inch back from the wheel well. There was a parking lot ding
> there some years ago. The rusted area is maybe two inches long and
> one inch high.

It's rusting from the inside. You'll never get rid of it now without
spending hundreds of dollars to cut out all the old metal and weld in
new.

> The paint appears to be bubbling up like an orange peel, but it's
> still firm. Anyway, I would like to understand what I'm up against
> to get this fixed. I assume a body shop is gonna want a couple
> hundred bucks to fix it, maybe more.

Yep.

> Is there a chance I could get
> in there with my Dremel tool, grind everything away, stuff some
> Bondo in there, and hit it with touch-up paint, and at least prevent
> the rust from spreading? Or is that a foolish idea?

You'd spend an awful lot of time fixing it, only to see it bubble back
up again in a year or so. One winter is usually as long as home-type
repairs last.

> Advice?

Live with it. Or sell the car.

--