Old August 20th 05, 03:07 PM
Jeff Reid

> In that Rolf Van Os vid, I think his car has an Xtrack box. Very fast sequential shifter those things. Did the cars in
> LFS have Xtrack boxes?

No, all cars shift at the same rate. The first verion of LFS was mostly
low powered street cars, no slicks, the fastest being a Lotus 7 replica
(I own such a car, a Caterham SV). Later they added a MRT5, a very
light racing car but restricted to 65hp (this is a real and licensed
car in LFS), but it had slicks, and a mod was created to allow
slicks on the other cars. The standard tire model in S1 was unstable,
but the slicks were better, so it the slick mod was a definate
improvment to the game.

LFS is supposed to be the king of racing sims (at least according to
it's fans), but is lacking in some areas. For the most part, LFS
version 1 (S1) was Live for Slow.

The release of S2 (version 2) includes true racing type cars, some
similar to the E36, and a 3 liter Forumula V8 car, "FO8" (similar to the
now gone Formula 3000 class, except the LFS versions supposedly have
tunnel effects on the underside of the bodies which isn't allowed on
the Formula cars (They get skidboards instead)). With the "FO8"
the game finally has some real speed to it, but the slow shift
rate of the car (and possibly the powerband of the engine), results
in a situation where it's faster to setup a car to only use
3 or 4 gears on a track, instead of all 6.

This was my complaint or suggestion for improvement to S2. That the
all out racing cars should have very fast shifters. I want to use
all 6 gears on a car (or 7 in the case of the Ferrari in F1C 99-02).

I guess I'm a shift fan, here's a video of a lap at Spa with
F1C99-02 RH2004 season mod (very fast manual shifting being used here):

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/f1cspa.wmv

My other suggestion was to allow slicks on all cars in S2, but it
doesn't matter as a mod to do this was quickly created after
the release of S2 alpha.