Old November 10th 04, 11:03 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, indago wrote:
>
> > I am recalling a program I saw on cable of a search into why an
> > individual is gay. An individual, seeking to understand why someone is
> > gay, asked a gay person: "Why are you gay?" The gay person looked him
> > straight in the eye and asked: "Why are you straight?"

> A clever and apt rejoinder, to be sure, and it might make the light of
> understanding come on for some thinking people, but not for those
> self-proclaimed "Christians" for whom thinking is tantamount to blasphemy.
> For those individuals, the answer to "Why are you straight?" runs along
> the lines of "Because that is God's order for the world. Homosexuality is
> inherently disordered, an abomination before God, and it is a behavior and
> a lifestyle choice at best, and a sickness at worst. Come pray with us and
> Jesus will cure you of your homosexual urges."
>
> That's a longwinded way of saying what President Bush's Karl Rove said
> just the other day:
>
> "If we want to have a hopeful and decent(!) society, we ought to aim for
> the ideal, and the ideal is that marriage ought to be, and should be, a
> union of a man and a woman."
>
> Yep, that's the Bush administration..."spreading freedom and democracy
> around the globe" (the Brits called it "bringing them civilisation" a
> century ago...didn't work out too well back then, either).

Uh, Dan, don't forget that Kerry didn't endorse gay marriage either.

Post-election, since the 2 major issues that caused the election to go
for Bush were the war and "moral values" (euphasim for gay marriage)
it seems apparent that the Democrats are going to be screwing all
the gays over and purging any hint of mention of gays from their
platforms as well. They won't be coming out and attacking them,
but they won't be saying boo in support of them either.

I think that it's pretty evident that if the Democrats had done this
early on during the primaries, that they would have won. The Dems
can count on the gay vote coming out in support of them all the
time, at least they can until the Republicans stop knocking gays.
(and it will be a cold day in hell when that happens) It wasn't
necessary for the Democrats to make any statements in support
of the gays whatsoever, all it did was make them lose the election.
It would have been much better to have totally and completely
ignored the issue.

The Republicans effectively used the gay issues as a means of
directing attention away from their failures, and the Democrats
fell into the trap of letting them get away with it. Next time they
won't.

Ted