Old May 15th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 2006 Miata

chance wrote:
> I am SERIOUSLY considering purchasing a new 2006 Grand Touring MX-5. Would
> be interested in hearing feedback about the car, int/ext colors and options.
> THANK YOU!

After looking at the Honda S2000 (which frightened my wife), Mini
Cooper, and 350 Z (didn't consider a Z4 because I think that it's too
damned ugly), I bought a 2006 MX-5. I didn't consider the Solstice
because of no storage space with the top down and when I see one, the
first word that pops in my head is "Fiero" (synonymous with "bucket of
bolts"). In my opinion, the MX-5 has the best bang for the buck.

Mine is a Sport model with the handling package, galaxy gray with black
cloth interior and black top, 6-speed. It does not have the Bose stereo.
At first, I wanted blue, but all my other cars are blue. Both shades of
red look good. White kind of hides the lines of the car.

If I had to do it differently, I might have bought the run-flat tires
with the tire pressure monitor (there's no spare, which is kind of scary
except for the roadside service included with the car).

I believe with the GT you get the keyless ignition system and an alarm
system, which may discourage theft. You also get leather seats, which I
am not convinced is better than cloth for a convertible.

You also get electronic nannies that prevent slides and such, but I
don't think it's worth it to have them. The chrome windshield frame
doesn't (I think) add anything to the car for me.

I rarely play the radio in my car, so the upgraded audio makes little
difference to me, but you might prefer the better sound quality.

There's some metal trim in the GT interior that kind of spruces it up a
bit, but that's not really necessary. It is, after all, a sports
car/driving tool, not a boulevard cruiser.

Many malign the door cup holders. I use it for my sunglasses and it
doesn't bother me.

Except for automatic transmission (which defeats the purpose of the car,
in my opinion), the rest of the options are cosmetic and you can add
them later through the after market if you want to.

By the way, don't get discouraged if you think the shifter it balky at
first. Mine loosened up quite nicely after about 1500 miles and now it
is a joy.

Good luck, and I am sure that you will enjoy whatever MX-5 you purchase.
It's the most fun car to drive that I've ever owned.