Old November 3rd 05, 07:09 PM
Jan Andersson

Default Weber IDF vs Dellorto DRLA, Opinions?

Joey Tribiani wrote:

>>Are DRLA's as good as IDF's?

> some argue they are better than IDF's...more user friendly...

The common arguments are that Webers are very picky about correct
settings, and are harder to jet & tune. And some say that they need to
be tweaked constantly, while Dellorto's keep their tune longer. I think
it's because the Dell's are more forgiving and work well with 90%
correct tuning, where the Webers require 100% and no deviation.
This doesn't mean you should settle for 90% correct tuning as your goal,
with Dells.

I like Dellortos, they are fairly easy to work on and parts are easy to
find (At least where I live) and they interchange. I have very little
expereince with Webers, mostly because I started out with Dellortos
almost 2 decades ago and I have been satisfied. I understand them. As
much as a backyard mechanic can ever understand a carburator

> you won't buy carbs "already tuned".

I agree 100%. No matter how detailed specs you give, you can't, and you
should not run them as is, right out of the box. There are VERY FEW
parts that can reliably do that.

Each engine is slightly different, and your location affects it too
(altitude). You can get a good, educated guess for jets, venturies and
settings from someone, but it will only be a baseline that will get the
engine running well enough for you or someone to finish the fine tuning
properly.

Almost everything today requires some touching up and fine tuning and
finishing. The differences are minimal sometimes, but at the end, if you
just slap parts together, blindly trusting the manufacturer, you will
have a ton of minimal little imperfections and a dog of an engine that
won't take you to the grocery store and back without having a fit of
some kind.

Be aware of what you buy and have, and what you need to do to make the
most of it.

Jan