Old June 21st 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 2001 Dodge Stratus Blower Motor

Spam Hater wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Jalapeno" > wrote:

<snip>
> > Does anyone know if the picture on the web page above is incorrect or
> > is the part not a direct replacement?

<snip>

To answer my own question - when I got home tonight I took the old part
out. It seems the drawing on the web site was incorrect, at least for
the 2001 Stratus (maybe it was for another model). I went ahead and
bought the part.

> I recently did this fix on my wife's Sebring, thanks to info from Glenn
> and others here and a good set of pictures here-
> hehttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=294308
> Time 1 hr+ 1 hr of filing= 2 hrs.
>
> I pushed the passengers seat back and got on my side to get at the
> location.

I am 6' 2" 285 lbs so I had to remove the front passenger seat to get
in there ) Four small bolts, no big deal. Quite a tight fit for a big
guy )

> ... Definitely use a socket wrench to remove the two bolts and
> drop the assembly first because the connector is very difficult to
> remove when in place.

Yes, I couldn't undo the latch on the connector because I was very
cramped and my hands were slightly too big. Removing the assembly was
the only way I could get it apart.

> Our original resistor was made in Mexico, the replacement a very crude
> looking part from Slovenia.

Now that is interesting. The part I bought here in Michigan was made in
the USA. I believe it was even made locally at one of the plant
suppliers here. I went to Sterling Heights Dodge which is only a mile
from the plant where they built the Stratus. Maybe that makes a
difference on where the part comes from. The local MOPAR distribution
warehouse is also the MOPAR headquarters.

> ... Since this new part was thicker I had to
> file away one side of the slot in the air duct. Chrysler must have bent
> their quality control to pass this non conforming part. If it doesn't
> fail within 5 years as did the Mexican part I'll forgive them.

I couldn't get a file up there, it was too cramped for me. I pulled out
my never-before-used Dremel tool and it only took about 20 seconds to
widen the slot. Wow, talk about a Christmas present from 10 years ago
finally coming in handy ). For those who haven't seen this part the
original part is about the size of a credit card in size and thickness
and looks like it is made of plastic. The new part is made of a ceramic
material and is about 6 times wider with little prongs sticking out.

> Good Luck...

Thanks. It took about an hour to do it. 20 minutes of that was time
wasted trying to get to the part until I took the seat out )