Old September 4th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

Default Raged motorist strikes two cyclists

In article . com>,
Woody Brison > wrote:

>That depends on the situation. In orbit, it's zero.
>During launch it could be several tons. What you
>really want to know is my mass. Believe it or not,
>I've known ROCKET SCIENTISTS to get that confused.

Because the term "weight" refers to mass in most contexts, and always
has. A balance scale measures mass. The contexts in which it does
not (e.g. when talking about "weight transfer" during braking or
acceleration) are the unusual ones. In the case of one's body weight,
it's mass being referred to.

The Physics 101 claim that "weight" refers only to force just isn't
true, except perhaps Physics 101 textbook problems.
result in a fully-depreciated one.