Old September 22nd 04, 06:40 PM
Graham W

Terry wrote:
<...>
> Having just spent a very frusttrating three weeks fixing our
> God-daughter's 1990 Civic I can say that the info at:
> http://www.gcw.org.uk/rover/igniter.htm
> was very helpfull in ruling out the ignitor.

As the author of said article. thanks for the comments...

> His simple LED tester
> allowed
> me to check for "firing" pulses from the ECM. Do NOT use a testlamp!
> Either a commercial logic probe, an oscilloscope, or a LED tester are
> the
> only safe ways to test for this signal! By testing for the input
> siganl,
> and the output of the ignitor one can decide if the ignitor or the
> coil
> is bad.

....and it only takes one minute to do all the necessary checks to come
to that conclusion.

I think I had better make a pointed comment of that 'no filament lamps'
thing in the article just in case someone not so clued up as Terry tries
it and pops the ECM!