Old October 24th 05, 09:26 PM
SteveH

Default Converting an automatic Transmission to a manual one

David Craig > wrote:

> Per some ideas that I received from some of you, I am now at the point
> where I am going to convert my 1988 Golf automatic transmission to a
> 5-speed manual transmission. I called a salvage yard to find a manual
> tranny, but was posed with the question.....which type to buy? The
> salvage yard said there are eight different types that could go in.
> Does anyone have any ideas as to which type to purchase? To me, it
> would seem that since I am replacing the entire transaxle, that it
> wouldn't matter which transmission....but, then again, what do I know.
>
> Thanks to all for taking time to ponder this.

It will be *much* cheaper to sell the auto and buy a manual.

As has already been posted, there's loads of other bits also need
changing, not least the carburettor - finding a good carb. for an '88
Golf is going to be a major pain - when I was looking for a carb. for my
'81 cabrio, I gave up and sold the car instead.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL