Old February 15th 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

Default Testing

On 2/15/2012 1:06 PM, XS11E wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm not happy with the current Miatas at all. They are
>> going the same way that the Nissan/Datsun "Fair Lady" did. (From a
>> decent sports car to a relatively expensive plushy sporty car.)

> I see from the responses here that my original thought that the "C"
> type is a nice car but not one about which people can be passionate
> seems to be the common thread.
>
>> Bring on a redesigned Miata, with good factory turbocharging, and
>> eliminate the unnecessary frills and foo foo.

> Turbocharging isn't necessary, Miata's were never about performance,
> they were/are about balance, fun, etc. They were the car I 'want' vs
> the car I 'need' (ie, mini-van.)

We put about 235,000 on an 89 Mazda MPV, and well over 100,000 on an 85
Plymouth minivan. Now that the kids are grown, no more need for a minivan.

A lot of things aren't "necessary". It just depends on individual needs.
"load em up" just creates higher prices, along with a slightly wider
customer base.

On the other hand, turbocharging, done properly by the OEM,
has quite a few benefits.

More power
Better fuel mileage (as long as the driver doesn't have a lead foot)
Possible reduction in emissions (Again of the OEM does things properly
and completely)
Smaller engine displacement to produce the same amount of power
(hopefully reduces size and weight)

Drawbacks - several, unfortunately.
More frequent oil changes, using high quality oil.
Higher underhood temperature, shortening the life of various rubber
hoses, etc.
Fewer mechanics trained properly, qualified and experienced in
servicing/repairing turbocharged engines.
Adaptive tuning and knock protection needed to compensate for fuel
differences. (non turbo'd engines often have similar needs to a slightly
lesser level)

The Miata's do suffer a bit due to lack of power. A "balanced"
power would fall in the 200-300 Hp area. Remember that the rated
power is usually much more than that actually developed in day to day
usage, and is generally not available at the wheels.

My 99
(stock) Rated ~ 140Hp, at the rear wheels 110Hp
(with Turbo) at the rear wheels 200-220 (measured, and based upon 1/4
mile times), detuned for day to day use 160-180 at the rear wheels.

The most noticeable issue with the 99 is that the stock ECU is still
used, and it's a bit slow to respond, due to it's design. Aftermarket
add-ons can only do so much.

One of the more noticeable differences is (naturally) much better
behavior in the mountains. Less need to downshift on hills is just one
example.