Old August 10th 10, 10:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George Csahanin

Default Expensive Repair in Process

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> aRKay > wrote:
>
>> After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the dealer on
>> a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
>> drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big unknown
>> at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is shorted.
>> Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the problem.
>> They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as expensive
>> as the BCM.
>>

> On Monday the dealership called saying it could be the $1,000 BCM (Body
> Control Module) because the vehicle was drawing 6 amps with the key
> OFF. The tech was trying to find the short or whatever that killed two
> batteries. He was having to do it the old fashion way * one circuit at a
> time. The service writer called back at the end of the day saying the
> new battery was okay that it charged fine and the tech found the
> interior lamp ON so he turned it OFF. The excessive current draw stopped
> but he wanted to let it sleep over night in his stall and check it in
> the morning. They called Tuesday and I have the car back. For only
> $114 we went from Intensive Care to Release.
>
> I have no idea how the interior lamps got turned ON but it was dying on
> me during the day and I probably never noticed the lamps staying on.
> The lamps turn ON when you open the door and they stay ON when you
> close it for about 30 seconds. The same set of lamps double as Map
> lights with two ON/OFF buttons in the mirror. I do not remember turning
> on a map light but may have done by accident the last time I washed the
> car and cleaned the mirror. The last wash was the morning before all
> this crap started.
>
> Dodged an expensive bullet on this one. The real test will be to see if
> it starts after spending the night in our garage

My C4 was killing batteries. It turned out to be the interior lights. In
that model there was a little metal tang next to the headlight switch to
turn inside lights on. I guess when turning headlights off I kept hitting
it. Went from a new battery every year to one that has now lasted four
years.