Old May 21st 13, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Default What did you do to your VW today?

Retired with a 70 Squareback as a daily driver. Wife has Sonata, excellent
car but soulless.
Only real bother seems to be starting when hot which it seems is a function
of the volatility of
unleaded in Aust. Usual issues with flywheel oil seal dribbling and torque
converter seal adding
a nice red colour to puddle on floor. Frequent oil changes and keeping
engine spotless ( so heat can
conduct/radiate away) seems to be key to long life. Auto never been out, has
estimated 300000 miles
and engine has had one work over 20 years ago.
John

"AllanW" wrote in message

On Saturday, 18 May 2013 02:34:53 UTC+12, Bill Leary wrote:

> My curiosities a
>

> How many in this group still have air cooled VW's?
>
> - and -
>
> What is their status?
>
> On the road, running but not on the road?
>
> Stored?
>
> Things like that.
>

> - Bill

My 72 1200 is pretty much road worthy, But I haven't taken it in for it's
test, becuase then I have to register it and insure it!

My 1984 VW T3 Transporter (Vanagon) is my daily, until I get my electric
assist bicycle totally complete. Of course, It's watercooled... and Subaru
powered to boot!