Old October 14th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.[_2_]

Default 1959 Bel Air versus 2009 Malibu - NMC but at least car-related

On Oct 14, 12:20*am, XS11E > wrote:
> "Tim M." > wrote:
> > On Oct 13, 2:34*pm, XS11E > wrote:
> >> "The 2010 Chevrolet Malibu reliability score of 5.0 out of 10 is
> >> the Predicted Reliability rating provided by J.D. Power and
> >> Associates."

> >> Pathetic. *

> > JD Powers lists the Chevy Malibu at 5 stars
> > Doesn't sound like junk to me, nor does it sound "pathetic."

> You're quoting the same people who rated the Malibu's reliability worst
> of all cars in it's comparison?
>
> Sounds like junk to me, I think you just helped me prove my point.

No, in the JD Powers published results that I quoted, five stars was
the highest rating, and only the Malibu achieved it.

The reliability projection that you are quoting is based on J.D.
Powers 3-year study of 2006 models, when the current Malibu didn't
exist (it was introduced in 2008) and shows that Chevrolets of 2006
had an average of 184 problems per 100 cars during that three year
period, as opposed to an average of 173 problems per 100 cars for all
2006 cars that J.D. Powers surveyed.

Now, given that J.D. Powers themselves rated the 2008 and 2009 Malibu
as being higher quality than the other cars in the mid-size sedan
class, and given that the 2008 and 2009 model Malibus are completely
different cars than the 2006 models; I would say that the "projected"
reliability of those models based on the 2006 results are likely to
prove inaccurate.

Even if not, having one additional problem for every 10 cars over a
three year period than the class average hardly seems like an honest
basis for calling a car "junk" or "pathetic."