Old January 4th 05, 04:51 PM

> i have a 1776 with a oil cooler and was thinking of using it as a
> heater and was wandering if any one had done this befor and if it
> will work? will the cooler give of a lot of heat or not?

Lots of heat? You bet. But the ability to duct the heat and get it
inside your cab might not be worth the effort.

> i am thinking of making a box and blowing air throw it the same as a
> heat exchanger is useing the cooling fan.

That sounds like a better plan.

> i also was thinking of may be making my own heat exchangers from
> the 1.5 j tubes that i have on there at the min. or will that
> course it to over heat? has any one done this with any sucksess?

Forget adapting the J-tubes and locate yourself a set of original VW
heat exchangers. (And avoid a set of those new and ineffective
exchangers advertised in the VW mags).

With the exchangers installed, purchase two 3" 12v Atwood marine bilge
fans. Which will cost you about $15/each. Under your ride, install
these fans between the exchanger and the heater connecting tube (the
one which goes into the vehicle). Wire to a swich (I used a relay)
and enjoy your new output in heated air.