Old July 9th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default Why do stick-shift cars go backwards before going forward?

In article om>, wrote:
> Sometimes I see a car in front of me stopped at the light. When the
> light turns green, the car in front of me will move backwards a few
> inches before going forward. I've never seen an automatic car do
> that, so those cars must be manual. Why do they do that? They could
> collide with you if you stopped less than a few inches from them.

You shouldn't be stopping so close. Like the fool that decided on a
snowy day to wedge his vehicle between my passenger side 1/4 panel and
the curb. RWD fords with traction lock break to the right when they slip.
It was uphill too... some people....