Old November 1st 05, 09:02 PM
Paul

Default 1998 Honda Accord LX

I think someone in another group posted a document detailing the procedure,
but from what I've seen it doesn't look like an easy job to me. Also, I'd be
reluctant to take on something emissions-related. I would leave it to a
dealer (especially if it could possibly be covered under the emissions
warranty, some kind of "secret warranty," or dealer "goodwill") or a trusted
independent shop.

Paul

"Bugsy" > wrote in message
: Yeah well after trick o treating the damn ck engine light is back. Is
: cleaning EGR ports and replacing the valve an easy do it yourself job?
:
:
: "Bugsy" > wrote in message
: ...
: > It's the L4. Drove it another 70 miles today...still no light. I had the
: > code read before I reset it and the error was poor EGR flow or something
: > like that.
: >
: >
: > "Paul" > wrote in message
: > nk.net...
: >>
: >> "Bugsy" > wrote in message
: >> . ..
: >> : I bought a 1998 Honda Accord LX the other day and knew prior to the
: >> purchase
: >> : that the check engine light was on. The previous owner told me it
: >> needed
: >> an
: >> : EGR valve and possible EGR port cleaning. I had to drive the car 300
: >> miles
: >> : back to my home so I filled it with premium and fuel system cleaner.
: >> When
: >> I
: >> : returned home I reset the Check Engine light. I have driven the car
: >> about
: >> 75
: >> : miles since and the light has not come back on. Is it possible that
the
: >> : better gas has cleaned the EGR enough to fix this problem even if
only
: >> : temporary? Has anyone else been able to reset the light and it not
come
: >> : back? Any info would be a ppreciated. The car drives fine and doesn't
: >> : exhibit any symptoms of a bad EGR.
: >> :
: >> Seems doubtful, but it's possible. I had a CEL problem with my 2001
: >> Odyssey
: >> last year. Several bottles of fuel system cleaner didn't help. It
turned
: >> out
: >> to be the EGR valve (known issue with the V6). My dealer replaced the
: >> valve
: >> at no charge to me and that took care of the problem.
: >>
: >> Is your Accord a 4 or a V6? If it's a V6, it might be covered by the
: >> Honda
: >> recall or TSB or whatever that applies to the EGR valve. Worth looking
: >> into.
: >>
: >> Paul
: >>