Old September 6th 05, 11:22 PM
Mike Romain

The distributor has a mechanical advance on springs and weights that
maxes out at just under 1600 rpm from what I understand, then the
computer takes over so the base timing is way down. No computer and set
the timing at idle at 7-9 deg with vacuum off, whichever sounds
smoothest, otherwise go by the hood sticker or book at 1600. You can
play there by a degree or two to to get the smoothest idle.

You are supposed to oil the felt pad in the center of the distributor
under the rotor every time you change the cap and rotor. If you open it
up and grab the rotor, it will turn under a spring load or it needs
cleaning and oiling if it's grabby.

Mike