Old September 6th 05, 08:47 PM
Mike Romain

The book way is for the computer run carb 258 engine. At 1600 rpm, your
mechanical timing is full advance and then the computer takes over. I
believe the distributor vacuum line should be off and plugged too.

My guess is that click you hear shutting off the vacuum leak (high idle)
is the defective PCV/canister solenoid that sits just behind the carb.
These never did work, so the fix is to pull it and just put a plain T
fitting in it's place.

My CJ7 with no computer messing up the works runs best at about 7-9 deg
advance at 700 rpm with a ported vacuum signal. But, when I killed the
computer, my timing had to be advanced by about 10 degrees to run
manually.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's