Old May 29th 12, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Al[_13_]

Default Problem with door lock in my 2004 Honda Accord (tumblers?)

On 5/26/2012 4:30 PM, wrote:
> I have a 2004 Honda Accord DX with manual door locks.
>
> In the last few days, I've had difficulty inserting the key into the door lock on the driver's side. It's become impossible at times today, which forces me to get in the car from the passenger's side so I can unlock the driver's side door. (Fortunately, that door lock isn't problematic. This confirms that the problem is specific to the driver's side door lock.) Now I'm missing the front bench seat and column-mounted shifter that some GMs, Fords, and Chryslers used to have. Sliding into the driver's seat from the other side of the car isn't an option in a car with bucket seats.
>
> At the beginning of last year, I had the same problem with the trunk lock - the key wouldn't go all the way in, and I had to use the remote trunk release to open the trunk. The tumblers in the trunk lock were the problem. So I had to have the trunk lock replaced, and I have to use a different key to open it. (The dealer offered me the option of having the trunk lock configured to work with the original key, but I decided against spending the extra money this would have required.)
>
> I'll have to take my car to the dealer again and see if the tumblers in the driver's side door lock are the problem.
>
> How common is it for cars to have bad tumblers? Is there anything I can do to prevent bad tumblers?
>
> How much risk is there that I'll have the same problem later with the ignition? I'm hoping that the more protected environment of the ignition switch will prevent such a problem from happening there. But if the problem happens there, it will be much more serious. At least when the problem is just a door or trunk lock, I have workarounds. If I can't insert the key into the ignition, then I'll be stranded and have to call for a tow truck.

You could switch the tumbler/cylinder from the passenger door to the
driver side door. That way you would still have the same key for
the door and ignition. Under ordinary circumstances passenger
door locks are hardly ever used and are not even being included
on many newer models. I think it is unusual for both your trunk
and one door to have a problem - do you have kids sticking stuff
in those locks, or do you use your key as a pry bar, screwdriver,
or other tool? I would not worry about the ignition lock.