Old August 28th 08, 08:17 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

Default Magnets on the fuel line intake

On Aug 27, 6:26*pm, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 06:47:17 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
> something compelled laurentien >, to say:
>
> > * * I am a engineering researcher and I can tell you that there are a lot
> > * * of ideas that are good but for some reasons were never used or each
> > * * time you talk about them, there is huge lot of uneducated sceptics
> > * * that make fun of you.

> When I was but a lad, back in 1970 or so, I would spend hours
> pouring over the J.C. Whitney catalogue, my longing gaze drifting
> over the tools, the parts, the accessories. *One of the things
> you could get from them was a magnet that clamped around the fuel
> line, and it was supposed to do all the things you are claiming.
>
> It sounded like bull**** to me then, and it sounds like bull****
> to me now. *I remember the first gas crisis (OPEC? *What's an
> OPEC?) and sitting in line to pick up the ten gallons we were
> allowed. *The auto manufactures, caught flat footed, started
> building the most ugly cars ever turned loose upon the streets of
> this fair land. *They were smaller, however, and got better
> mileage in an effort to compete with Datsun and Toyota.
>
> One would suspect that if a magnet would have helped with that,
> magnets would have been installed.
>
> I suspect your performance improvements exist largely in your
> mind.
> --
>
> Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Lets try to be Cartesian or rational about these subjects.

What you believe is of no interest for people living on facts and
scientific thinking. That is the basis of engineering, never take for
granted what people believe, it often proves wrong. Example, when a
persone drive a car with a small engine with not much torque, they
will drive it in the low revs because they feel the engine suffers
less since it makes less noise. They then drive the car with almost no
torque and risk to damage it. Try to explain that to the average
people knowing nothing about cars.

What I am trying to do here is to collect facts from people who made
tests by themselves and give enough information so we can repeat them.
One guy showed a page of researchers who have tried various fuel
saving gadgets where they say that nothing works so these results are
important but we only see their results but we have no idea of what
they tried and which methodology they applied. Then, I do not know if
they worked properly and if their results are valid. Double checking
others results is part of our academic jobs.

And now, if you have not tried magnets on our own Audi, how can you
have the honest nerve to say that performance improvements exist
largely in my mind. People should not judge each other in that sense.

LHR

Life is too short to drive US cars.