Old July 29th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Default Idea of the muscle car is dead (Or, why Ford can't sell carsnow)

dwight wrote:
> "Spike" > wrote in message
>>
>> Don't take this as a negative directed at you, but how old are you?
>>
>> The following is not to say how it was so good back in the day, but as
>> an illustration of how similar it was. And cars of that era were
>> rusting out, had lower mileage, less safety features, etc.
>>
>> Being over 30+ (x2 :0) When I graduated high school in 1966, you could
>> buy a brand new Mustang for under $3,000. At that time, incomes were a
>> lot lower. As a Ranch Hand in Merced, CA, I made $76.10 per week
>> working 5.5 days from sun up to sun down. As a Manager Trainee in a
>> grocery store in 1966, I made $500 per month no matter how many hours
>> I worked.

>> snip gold standard era history lesson<

> Preach on, Spike. I remember when the new VW Beetles jumped from $1,595
> to $1,795. When we married, my wife and I bought a brand new 1978
> Mustang II (a nice little six-cylinder hatchback model), and stretched
> for it - an incredible $5,000. The monthly payments were $108, and there
> were many months when we couldn't manage to pay on time.
>
> Somewhere around here, I still have a 1972 Ford price sheet for the new
> Mustangs, with a Chinese menu of available options. $3,000 would have
> bought a nicely-equipped model, but who could afford $3,000 in 1972?
>
> dwight
> (damn, we're old)

Heh, here ya go gramps, take a look at this...

http://www.shamikaserver.com/ssforum...2033#post82033

or

http://tinyurl.com/5weq5o

--

TEACHER: Harold, what do you call a person who keeps on
talking when people are no longer interested?

HAROLD: A teacher