Old June 5th 04, 08:46 PM
Tha Ghee

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >I think they should have ponied up a little money and made a true V-12.

> You're potentially talking hundreds of millions of dollars in development
> costs.
>
> >with this config what are the true benefits??

> It's "footprint". The VR/W configurations make the engines narrower and

allows VW/Audi to squeeze them into places were an engine that size normally
would not fit. The 2.8 Litre VR6 fitted to the Golf/GTi/Jetta is an example
of this, as is the W8 in the Passat.

just take the V-12 from Lambo, and tune it for a luxo sedan.

I understand the width & length angle, but what are any benefits, between
some savings in development time, and small size. they seem to be a little
low on power compared to a "traditional" layout, and they seem to have a
little more harshness vibration.