Old July 23rd 11, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default Miata's and Valve???

On 7/22/2011 2:22 PM, Ringo wrote:

> "XS11E" > wrote in message
>> "Ringo" > wrote:
>>
>>> but true, but now sort of a related question due
>>> around the same 60,000 miles. I also noted in the scheduled
>>> maintenance list that it says to change the timing belt at 60K,
>>> which I have always been aware of, having owned several Japanese 4
>>> bangers. BUT there is a couple of footnotes #s 2 &3 that says if
>>> initially sold in several states, including mine, California, to
>>> change it at 105,000 instead. My question, in those few states,
>>> did Mazda use a heavier duty type belt???

>> No, California law required Mazda to make that change, it's the same
>> belt for all. General consensus here seems to be that 100,000 miles is
>> a safe figure to use.
>>
>> NOTE: The Miata is a non-interference engine so if the belt breaks you
>> will NOT damage the engine.
>>
>> Next note: Change belt AND idler pulleys, cam shaft seals, crank seal
>> and water pump since you're already in there and almost all of the
>> labor is already done. It costs more but the peace of mind is worth
>> it!
>>

>> --
>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project:
>> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

> Thanks for that advice. I knew about the water pump, but not all the
> rest. I am C&P'g that to myself in an email, for future reference. But
> even though it is a non-interference engine, I will play it safe when
> the time comes and do it right at or near 60K. It would be just my luck
> to crap out on the way to or returning from Pismo Beach a 4.5 hr. drive.
> At my amount of Miata driving, mileage collecting, I'm safe for around
> another 10 yrs>>LOL.

i think you are safe with holding off on the timing belt. this has been
discussed at length and you can search the web or miata.net to find any
number of discussions on the topic. for example i picked up my 95 miata
in 2005 with 105k on it from someone that had it since 30k and who never
replaced the timing belt. it was confirmed with the dealer maintenance
history that it had never been done. of course i had it done right away
but i would not of done it at 60k. probably 90k would have fit my
conform level. worse case I would have been looking at a little
inconvenience and tow should it go out prematurely, but i don't think
anyone ever reported the original belt snapping on them under 100k. but
with your car now 11 years old i would be looking at replacing the
complete set of hoses on the engine (including the often overlooked
small houses) as preventative maintenance as a much higher priority.
overheating can cause inconvenience as well as serious damage to the
engine, a snapped timing belt only causes inconvenience.
just my 2¢.