Old May 14th 09, 11:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Default Using Vaseline on Battery Terminals

N8N > wrote in news:4a57b07a-8189-4619-bd85-
:

> On May 13, 3:05*pm, jim evans > wrote:
>> For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
>> Vaseline to prevent corrosion. * *I've never done it because it seems
>> like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
>> conduction between the posts and terminals. *
>>
>> Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? *If not, why
>> do you think that's so?

> Nope, it works great. I've also used silicone grease (AKA dielectric
> grease) and that works just as well.
>
> nate

Pretty much anything that keeps oxygen away from the terminals keeps
corrosion away.

You could use spray white grease, Crisco, Cosmoline, bear fat,
clarified butter, just about anything greasy.

--
Tegger