Old August 30th 13, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Tool Talk - Big Wrench

On 8/29/2013 10:26 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> What's the biggest open end wrench you've used? Any dimension.
> Nut size, length, or wrench weight.

Probably a Heyco 36mm back in the day when I had a really crappy job for
a while as a machine setup guy. I'm sure that's not a record though.

I really did like those Heyco wrenches, for the record. They looked
just like scaled-up versions of the wrenches that used to come in the
BMW factory toolkits (also made by Heyco) but black oxide rather than
chromed. They looked really thin and flimsy, but stood up to lots of
use and abuse (slugging with an engineer's hammer to break loose stuck
nuts etc.) without any failures at all, but were still much lighter than
a comparable e.g. Craftsman wrench.

If I didn't already have most of the wrenches that I could reasonably
see myself needing, I might seek some of them out. It's a shame that I
wasn't more affluent when I left that job, I'd have been tempted to just
roll my whole toolbox into my car on the way out the door, and told them
to keep the deposit. (would have been wrong of me to do that though, so
I still probably wouldn't have.)

nate