Old November 14th 04, 07:23 PM
Caroline

Is that $326 for just the part or parts and labor? If it's just
the part, consider:

1.
An online new OEM radiator purchase from a place like
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...catdisplay.jsp ?
They want around $250 (add another $20 or so for S/H) for a new
radiator for one of the 91 Civic SI radiators I looked at. Labor
of course will bring this up to a higher cost, unless you are a
DIY-er. http://www.hondiscountparts.com/ looks to have even
better prices ($117-$158, with free shipping over $50).

2.
A local or online salvage yard? Many yards have online search
engines that are very precise. I used www.olstons.com this past
year for a new crankshaft pulley. The transaction went really
well. The part was just fine.

Seems like there have been a fair number of posts here over the
years about failed radiators for early 1990s Hondas. I can add
that, while a dealer shop was diagnosing what turned out to be a
distributor rotor problem on my 91 Civic LX 4-door sedan, they
broke the top of my car's radiator. I didn't get the details.
They just explained this to me when I went to get the car, adding
that I'd got a free, new radiator out of the deal. (But
considering what they charged me for the rotor problem... oh
never mind. It was still less than the cost of a new radiator.)

"Paul Banchero" > wrote
> The upper tank on my '91 Civic Si radiator has a split 1" - 2"

long
> immediately above one of the two brackets that support the air

intake
> horn - the one closest to the battery. (And, no - I haven't

leaned
> on the air horn in the past, though that kind of pressure is

what
> causes the split to widen.)
>
> Realistically, is this repairable by a radiator shop? The tank

is
> made of rather thin metal (brass?; aluminum?). I wonder

whether
> soldering or brazing would work. I suspect that the shop might
> suggest the replacement of the tank. The alternative is $326

for a