Old November 13th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
oklaman

Default '98 Explorer V8 Spark Plug Replacement?

somewhere I read (wish I could remember where) that double tip platinum's
were not really any better than regular platinum's, just costs more.

my 2000 V8 will be needing plugs before too long. now has 79000 miles and
runs well. will the 2000 V8 be similar to the 98 V8??

should you use anti-seize when replacing plugs?

"Happy Traveler" > wrote in message
. ..
Done it a couple times on mine - same year, same engine. Definitely go
through the wheel well. Only the rubber skirts had to come off. If memory
serves, turning the wheel from side to side as you go from front to back
helps, but that's it - no reason to take the wheels off. Actually, this is
one of the easiest engines to change plugs that I have seen.
If you are buying platinum plugs, make sure that they are 'double platinum'
(meaning that the platinum plating is on both electrodes). That's because
this engine fires with positive voltage on one side of the block and
negative on the other.
For whatever reason, the wires on this vehicle are notorious for early
failures, so I would second the suggestion to change them, especially if
they are over 50,000 miles old. Make sure to keep them away from the exhaust
manifold (Motorcraft wires come with heat shields on those that are close --
don't know about the other brands).