Old February 26th 08, 10:13 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Pawel

Default Casablanca - Cape Town in a Discovery Td5

Hi there,

I'm new here, so - a big "hello" to everybody.

New, but already with few questions

I recently bought a Land Rover Discovery Td5 '00 with 92000 km made. I plan
to go from Casablanca (Morocco) to Cape Town (S. Africa) along the west
coast of Africa in 2009/10.

Questions:
- anyone did this route before/anyone knows any web resources on similiar
routes made before in Africa?
- what should I equipe my Disco with? Until now - it's in its standard
settings, with however rear suspension on springs. I bought it for 10000
EUR, planned to spend another 5000 for the equipment (like i.e. additional
fuel tank)...maybe there is some list on what to equip a Disco with for a
long haul adventure off-road ride
- what spare parts to take, I would not expect good fuel in the area and
this car is on common rail...fuel pump etc. etc.?
- would anyone strongly disadvice to go there with a Land Rover? Should I
switch to Land Cruiser?
- where to start looking for permissions/special documents to travel along
these countries (car on polish plates)?
- anyone who did this route befo do you think that 3-4 months would do?
- anyone who did this route befo what might be the approx. cost
(fuel+repairs+permissions etc.)

We plan to start in Gdansk (Poland), drive to south Spain and than do the
thing from Morocco. We are 2 - would possibly be looking for some more
people (max 2) + possibly for some other car to join. Timings flexible.

Any advice, comments, web resources, forums etc. - welcome!

Best greetings,
--
P.