Old March 4th 05, 02:09 PM
HLS

"Comboverfish" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I stuck with Dexcool because I take care of my GM. Its a couple bucks
> more and lasts maybe a year longer.
>
> Toyota MDT in MO

Just as you say, it is probably okay for most purposes. No formulation I
have ever seen is ideal for combinations of brass, lead,aluminum, cast iron,
zinc etc metallugy found in modern autos. If you change coolant as one
should, then there will probably not be a problem.

However, if you own one of the GM wonder products which has the gasket or
manifold issues, antifreeze contamination into the crankcase can apparently
ruin
the entire engine in some cases. Not all engines of the effected versions
fail, and
not all homologous types are effected. I have not heard whether Dex-Cool
causes more damage under this sort of failure than traditional antifreeze.

GM has a clever tapdance routine for this...they don't recall and fix the
weakness since it is not a 'safety' issue. If your engine is effected
during the warranty period, then they will fix at it. If outside of this
period, you get an Oklahoma guarantee.