Old October 19th 04, 02:07 AM
BANDIT2941

>> Sorry, but if an engine is burning oil, putting a bypass oil filter on it
>isn't
>> going to help. In SOME cases, it MAY help prevent oil burning from
>> happening(like if you are one who never changes the oil) but if you keep up
>> with your oil changes you are no more likely to have an oil burning problem
>> then if you have a secondary filter.

>Would you think that 2k oil change intervals would be enough? This is
>the interval that I performed on my second engine with good ol' Castol
>GTX and it would still burn a quart every 2-3k miles.

Where did I say that regular oil changes would stop oil burning? I didn't. What
I said was, "you are no more likely to have an oil burning problem then if you
have a secondary filter. " Its not the same. If your rings are frozen, a bypass
filter isn't going to fix it. Sorry.

>installed a bypass filter before on your own car? I didn't think so.
>Here's an article of interest:
>http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=4;t=000387
>. This states that the main causes of engine oil consumption are
>dirty oil, worn engine components and leaks. This suggests that if
>your engine isn't worn out, you can install a bypass filter and it
>will get rid of the dirty oil problem, thus you won't have sticking
>piston rings, metal shavings/soot inbetween the valve and valve seals,
>etc.

Yeah, no **** the main cause of engine oil consumption is worn out engine
components. But all you have to do to prevent excessively dirty oil and worn
engine components is change the oil regularly.

>The nature of the piston ring is that it expands against the
>cylinder for seal between the combustion chamber and the crankcase.

Wow, you know how a piston ring works. The ring in question here, however, is
the oil control ring. I know what causes oil consumption in Saturn engines
because I have taken them apart myself before. I'll take your line. Have you
ever taken your own engine apart to figure out what is wrong with it? Didn't
think so.

> Anyone who can't fix an engine themselves can still
>install a bypass filter in a couple of days and see good results
>without too much money (couple hundred bucks). The benefits that you
>get from the BP filter are cost savings on new oil, filter elements,
>and engine repairs.

How are you saving on new oil, filter elements, and engine repairs? Are you
suggesting that your change your oil less regularly now? With the bypass
filter, you now have 2 filters to change, and added cost in oil(how much extra
do you need per change?). PLUS the original "not too much money" couple hundred
bucks.