Old August 20th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default New Tires

Sin City Boy wrote:
> I'm a new Miata owner and would like to put new tires on my 1994. Does
> anyone have any recomendations for a good set of reliable tires? (brand
> name, etc.)
> Thanks;
>
> KJ

Since no one tire is ideal for all conditions, it would help to know how
and under what conditions you will be normally using them.
A tire is an endless series of compromises, you just have to decide what
is most important to you.

Higher grip generally equals less tire life. I can get about 3 times as
many miles from a set of all-seasons as I do from my average
high-performance tires, but the grip difference is huge.

Designing more dry traction equals less wet traction, and vice-versa,
regardless of any manufacturer's, (or tire owner's), claims.
No matter what rubber compound is used, more of that rubber compound
contact means more dry grip.
A slick would be best, but tread is required to make the tire
displace more water to be safer in the rain, which means less rubber
contact, hence less dry grip.

Tread patterns have improved but no tire manufacturer has ever gotten
around these simple physics. More tread always equals less dry contact,
and less tread always equals more dry contact.

Stiffer sidewalls will make the car have a faster steering response and
will generally have a harsher ride than tires with more flexible sidewalls.

Where you drive is a big factor, especially if you live where there is
snow and ice and if you only have one set of wheels/tires. You don't
want to be caught in the snow with performance summer tires.
On the other hand, driving around Texas with Blizzacks would be pretty
silly as well.

As far as manufacturers, there are more brands that I would trust than I
can keep track of. Goodyear, Toyo, Yokohama, Pirelli, Bridgestone,
Falken, Hankook, Dunlop, & Kumho all come to mind.
Most of these companies make a tire that will suit your normal driving
conditions.

Once we know what features are most important to you, there are a lot of
people who can make particular recommendations based on road noise
levels, recommend against a particular bad tire or suggest one that
sounds like what you are looking for.
Probably other things as well.

Finally, what size are you looking for?
Tire choices, especially new models, are becoming more limited with
14's, even with 15's, but there are still some very good choices out there.

Pat